[Rubygems-developers] Pull Request #2: progress downloader

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 00:22:20 EDT 2010

Kicking this again.

Ryan melt worked out the quirks I mentioned in the pull request:

http://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/pull/2

I just ran all the test and none is broken.

However, while I believe this particular feature is hard to test, I'm
not confortable with the UI interation.

For example, we have 'say' and 'ask' to deal with stream / UI
redirection and automation, but having those print and STDOUT.flush
will not help.

Was thinking that perhaps this should be exposed by a helper instead?
Something like:

progress file_name, current_bytes, total_bytes
(during chunk download)

progress :complete
(to erase the progress report)

I cannot stress how this is becoming important lately with more and
more developers packaging gems that are way more than just simple ruby
files (jar, dlls, compiled extensions, even documentation).

Just installing Rails 3 is a bliss knowing what is going on:

http://screenr.com/CU4

Thoughts?
--
Luis Lavena