[Rubygems-developers] Pull Request #2: progress downloader

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 17:44:07 EDT 2010

Hello guys,

In case you didn't see the pull request #2:

I wanted to bring it to attention.

Basically the problem is raised due big gems, particularly QtBindings
which Windows binaries weight 49MB and the pure-ruby one is 1.6MB

The problem with such gems is evident: there is no 'clue' on what is going on.

Over the pull request I mentioned that adding ProgressBar class is not ideal:

1) makes RubyGems depend on another piece of code

2) It clashes with another definition of ProgressBar

I suggested do a clean and simple implementation as Rubinius guys did
for the downloader.

Is there any other point of concerns I should think off? Any UI that
will be broken by this? Also, any recommendation to properly fake this

This affects mostly binary gems or jruby ones that bundle big .jar files in it.

Thank you for your time and looking forward your comments.
Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry