[Rubygems-developers] Canonical Repo and Forks?

John Barnette jbarnette at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 11:49:33 EDT 2010

On Oct 18, 2010, at 10:06 PM, Chad Woolley wrote:
> I was considering applying this one-character and (seemingly) obvious
> bugfix pull request which just came in:
> http://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/pull/5
> http://github.com/sampierson/rubygems/commit/cf35d780d26eb8d6294786badf72c7e8b5e76744

Lluis, Raggi, and I have been keeping a decently close eye on these as I come in, so I wouldn't worry about managing pull requests unless you have a real excitement about a specific one.

> However, I'm unclear on the current state of things, especially in
> context of the recent thread discussing regressions.  Questions:
> * Where is the canonical repo?  The one on Github?  Is the rubyforge
> repo dead now?  Can we delete it?  I've got both on CI for now [1],
> [2].

The RubyForge repo is dead. rubygems/rubygems on GitHub is The Real Thing.

> * If I commit to master branch on github, do I need to apply the patch
> to any other branches or forks?

Nope, not at the moment.

> * Are there any forks which to which I might not have access (e.g.
> 1.9)?  If so, what do I need to do in this case?  Put in a ticket
> and/or patch to Ruby?

Not that you need to care about for applying changes. For the moment, at least, the differences between RubyGems-the-product and RubyGems-the-feature-of-1.9 are resolved near release time for each. I'd like very much to change this in the future, but we have a mountain or three to climb before then.

> * Against which forks/branches should I run unit tests (whether I can
> commit or not?)

At the moment the most useful would be master on GitHub and head from Ruby's Subversion, I'd think.

> * Are the answers to these questions documented anywhere other than
> other committer's heads?

Now, luckily, they're searchable in the email archive. :)