[Rubygems-developers] Remove RDoc generation

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 10:50:00 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Trans <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 6:38 pm, Ryan Davis <ryand-r... at zenspider.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 29, 2010, at 11:42 , Trans wrote:
>>
>> > With YARD becoming so popular
>>
>> You can just stop right there.
>>
>> yard only has 50k downloads, 2.5k for the last version.
>>
>> rdoc has 250k downloads, 73k for the last version.
>
> I would think 2,500 users is fairly significant. But that's not the
> main point. On demand generation of docs is a better idea.

The significant statistic would be how many people who install a gem
actually USE the autogenerated rdocs.  I personally always turn them
off to speed installation.

I'm +1 on making it default to off, if only to increase the perceived
speed of gem installation in the default case.  If you know enough to
want rdoc, you should know enough to enable autogeneration.

-- Chad