[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-16937 ] downcase gem name: can install RedCloth but not redcloth

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Tue Nov 23 14:47:23 EST 2010

Bugs item #16937, was opened at 2008-01-08 16:09
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=16937&group_id=126

Category: `gem install` command
Group: v1.0.x

Initial Comment:
`gem install` should accept lower-case gem names.  I am using Rubygems 1.0.1.

I couldn't figure out why 'gem install redcloth' kept saying there was no such gem available, but I tried camel case (RedCloth) and it worked.  How is anybody expected to know the correct capitalization of a gem name?

Thanks for your consideration.

Date: 2010-11-23 11:47

Message:
So... is this bug ever going to be fixed?  It's been more
than 2 years since I originally filed it. :-(

Comment By: Eric Hodel (drbrain)