[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-28703 ] Update not possible if user folder contains umlaut

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Mon Nov 22 12:55:15 EST 2010

Bugs item #28703, was opened at 2010-11-09 10:26
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=28703&group_id=126

Category: `gem` commands (other)
Group: v1.3.x

Initial Comment:
Hello,

I'm from Germany and in the German language there are umlauts, the letters ä, ö and ü. My name contains an umlaut, and therefore my user folder und C:\Users\ (I'm using Win 7) contains one too. Since renaming the user folder is impossible, there is now way to use gem, since it tells me that there is an "Errno:ENOENT". I have already tested and this problem does not occur if i use another user account without an umlaut. Thought you should know this so you could fix it

C:\Users\Tim Jäger>gem env
RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.7
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.9.2 (2010-08-18 patchlevel 0) [i
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: E:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe
  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: E:/Ruby/bin
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86-mingw32
  - GEM PATHS:
     - E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://rubygems.org/

C:\Users\Tim Jäger>gem update --system
Updating RubyGems
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::ENOENT)
    No such file or directory - C:/Users/Tim Jäger