[Rubygems-developers] The Deal

John Barnette jbarnette at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 18:38:18 EST 2010

We had a RubyGems pow-wow at RubyConf. Along with a bunch of other good stuff, Evan and I will be actively maintaining RubyGems when Eric is focused on other things. Drunk on our newly-usurped power, we have a few notes for the future:

We're going to be releasing RubyGems much more regularly (and frequently). Some of this will depend on velocity, but we're shooting for 4-6 week cycles on point releases. The major version number may also begin to rapidly climb, but that depends on what we end up doing with version number vs. specification version vs. API version. Expect a bunch more talk about this.

To start this new era of magical prosperity and productivity, we're going to release 1.4.0 as soon as possible. We'll be creating a 1.4 branch in the next hour or so, and I'd like to have 1.4.0.pre.1 out in the next few days. We'll keep rolling prereleases off of the 1.4 branch until we're happy with stability. If you have stuff that desperately needs to be in 1.4.0, merge it to both the 1.4 branch and to master. Keep in mind there will be another release shortly, so it's not going to be a long wait for stuff that doesn't get in.

A word on Git: From now on, don't land broken code on master. If tests are breaking in master, don't land shit until they pass (Evan's working on the find_files test now). If you're working on bigger stuff, do it in feature branches.

We've created a rubygems-prereleases mailing list for folks from a lot of the larger hosting companies, as well as projects like Bundler that use RubyGems heavily. Drop me an email if you want on it, but keep in mind that we're not going to let it turn into another rubygems-developers: This is for getting more consistent prerelease feedback from the folks who get bit most severely by RubyGems releases.

Engine Yard (specifically Nic Williams) have offered to work with us on a serious CI grid for RubyGems, potentially covering 1.8.6, 1.8.7, 1.9.1, 1.9.2, mri-head, Rubinius, and JRuby on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. I'm talking about this with him later today, and I'll have more details soon. I hope this will take some stress off of Chad, since he's wanted to do a ton of this and hasn't had the time or support to do so.

I lost the coin flip and had to write this, but I expect Evan will chime in with anything I forgot or messed up. And, of course, Eric may swoop in at any time and cut our heads off.

~ j.