[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-27099 ] Problems with gems (treetop, polyglot, test-unit) installed in $HOME/.gem instead of /usr/local/...

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Fri Nov 12 17:46:26 EST 2010

Bugs item #27099, was opened at 2009-09-13 15:00
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=27099&group_id=126

Category: #gem and #require methods
Group: v1.3.x

Initial Comment:
I filed it initially as a bug in Lighthouse (cucumber):

https://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211-cucumber/tickets/445-patch-cucumber-cannot-find-treetop-if-all-gems-are-in-homegem#ticket-445-4

It seems like adding:

    gem 'foo-bar'

fixes things for some gems, others need:

    Gem.activate('foo-bar')

The Lighthouse ticket has a specific, detailed example in cucumber.

Comment By: Ryan Davis (zenspider)
Date: 2010-11-12 14:46

Message:
This ticket has been deemed stale and we're closing it in order to catch up
with our ticket list. If you think it is still valid, please reopen.

Comment By: Cezary Baginski (czarek)
Date: 2009-09-18 11:21

Message:
Workaround - add a version requirement, e.g.:

gem 'foo-bar', '>=0'

Ticket on redmine / ruby-core:

Comment By: Cezary Baginski (czarek)
Date: 2009-09-13 15:56

Message:
Just to make sure, I tried trunk (r2296), but it wouldn't
let me even install gems in $HOME, even with --user-install
(exception with Requirement being Nil in <=>() ). Maybe I'll
submit a bug tomorrow.