[Rubygems-developers] Rubygems Packaging Enhancements and Designs

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Mar 31 16:05:58 EDT 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, James Tucker wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2010, at 10:02, Hugh Sasse wrote:
           [...]
> > It could also be worth collecting a critical bibliography of
> > published books that discuss how to use RubyGems, with a view
> > to describing how current the information in them is.
>
> Mostly it needs to be clear (and documented) that for users, rubygems is well self-documented:
>
> gem help
> gem help commands

That's clear and readily found.  What isn't so clear is what is going on
with require, gem versioning, and the deprecation of require_gem. Examples
in some books will need to be changed.

I think in the light of your response to my private email, I realise
that I probably can't make the time commitment at the moment to contribute
to this, which is principally why I have not explored the consequences of
github package choices in sufficient depth.  Hopefully things will be
easier later.

        Hugh