[Rubygems-developers] Rubygems Packaging Enhancements and Designs

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 06:05:49 EDT 2010

On 31 Mar 2010, at 10:02, Hugh Sasse wrote:
>        [...]
>> that starts. The only way to move forward is to understand, and
> In that spirit, I'd like to contribute the following.
>        [...]
>> * Fresh documentation for teams packaging rubygems and gems inside
>> other package managers * A set of platform test infrastructure
>        [...]
> I'd like to point out that
>
> http://docs.rubygems.org/
>
> could do with an update.  It refers to rubygems 0.8.7, and it says
> that 1.3.x is in progress.  Those (being updated) docs don't appear
> to be visible to doc maintainers who wish to contribute.  Could they
> be released for maintenance?

At present this is database backed I believe. That means you will want to sign up for an account and Eric can open it up for you. Alternatively, you could send patches to this ML and I can patch it for you. I want to spend time on that at some point, but it's lower on the priority list.

I agree that moving it to something like asciidoc or the like and putting it in a repository might "open up" access for more people.

> The importance of this is that a Google search for RubyGems
> Documentation presents this as the first choice, so it is
> a place many people will be looking for this.

I agree 100%.

I have already created a book on rubygems packaging at the site, that is currently empty and unpublished, but it will come to contain the guide that will be one of the results of the subproject in question.

> It could also be worth collecting a critical bibliography of
> published books that discuss how to use RubyGems, with a view
> to describing how current the information in them is.

Mostly it needs to be clear (and documented) that for users, rubygems is well self-documented:

gem help
gem help commands