[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Patches-27987 ] Add metadata-attribute to Gem::Specification

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Thu Mar 18 17:29:40 EDT 2010

You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=577&aid=27987&group_id=126

Category: other
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I'm currently working on a gemspec editor (Gemify) which attempts to make it easier to update your gemspec. One of the feature is that you can specify a manifest (use files checked in in a VCS; use a MANIFEST file etc.) and when you run `gemify -b` it will update the files attribute.

Since I want to keep all the information inside the gemspec I simply append this line to #to_ruby: Gemify.last_specification.manifest = %q{manifest-type} if defined?(Gemify)

This works, both for Gemify and when other library loads the gemspec. However, if someone calls #to_ruby on the loaded gemspec, the information is lost.

By providing a metadata-attribute (a hash) we can make it possible for tools that works with gemspec to (a) store information not (yet) supported by RubyGems and (b) ensure that the information is preserved when other tools loads/writes it.

It's a tiny patch with no test. Please let me know if you need a test in order to commit, and I'll write one (but I suspect the tests for #attribute should be enough).