[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-27946 ] gem install hangs indefinitely on a NAT-ed machine

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Thu Mar 11 05:45:02 EST 2010

Bugs item #27946, was opened at 2010-03-09 11:59
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=27946&group_id=126

Category: `gem install` command
Group: None

Initial Comment:
As described in this thread from ruby forum:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/204146

Date: 2010-03-11 10:45

Message:
It seems to not be "NAT'd machines", being that every developer behind a router / on wireless is generally NAT'd.

That being said, the multiple layers of NAT can introduce more problems.

We do need to get to the bottom of this issue, however, it very much seems that this is a problem on a lower layer than our app layer.

It's possible that read(2) is causing some kind of blocking issue in some connection teardown / nat mapping release. On that note, it's worth mentioning that a lot (but far from all) of the complaints are linux in a VM on win32.

My first question, given the seemingly repeatable failure caused by using NAT rather than bridged mode, is what class of NAT is actually being used, is it symmetric / asymmetric, full / partial cone, etc?

Also, are you running any ipv6?