[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Feature Requests-28300 ] gem env platform

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Sun Jun 13 14:07:25 EDT 2010

Feature Requests item #28300, was opened at 2010-06-13 12:07
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=578&aid=28300&group_id=126

Category: `gem` commands
Group: None

Initial Comment:
In the chef project, we support managing a secondary rubygems installation. The only information about this gems installation provided by the user is the path to the `gem` command. Now that we are using the rubygems ruby API from within the chef process, we temporarily change the gem platform to match the target gem installation's platform, so that we get the correct gem, e.g., when the target gem installation is for jruby.

The problem is that the gem command only reports this information via the full `gem env` command so we are currently using a hacky regexp to detect jruby and special-case it. It would be ideal if the gem command would report the platforms of the target gem installation via `gem env platform`, maybe as a list separated by File::PATH_SEPARATOR.

Thanks.