[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Feature Requests-28366 ] Better C Extension Handling

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Fri Jul 9 10:38:16 EDT 2010

Feature Requests item #28366, was opened at 2010-07-09 14:38
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=578&aid=28366&group_id=126

Category: local package management
Group: future

Initial Comment:
When installing a gem, if the C extensions fail to compile, then the gem won't be installed. This forces me to maintain two gems, one in pure ruby and the other containing the optional extensions, just to make sure that users can fail over to the pure ruby version if the extension don't compile.

I'd like to merge these gems into one. This would require that RubyGems change somehow.

Ideally, there'd be a setting which would allow the gem to be installed even if the extensions fail to compile. That setting would allow for a special error message to be displayed, informing the user that the extensions haven't compiled correctly but that the gem is still usable.

Would you accept a patch for this feature?
Is there another way of going about this?
Is there a way to handle this situation with the current version of RubyGems?

Thanks,
Kyle