[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems 1.3.5 dependency chain installation seems broken?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 22:03:41 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> On Dec 31, 2009, at 09:00, Luis Lavena wrote:
>
>> Let's take the example: thin.
>>
>> http://gemcutter.org/gems/thin/versions/1.2.5
>>
>> Version 1.2.5 depends on:
>>
>> daemons >= 1.0.9
>> eventmachine >= 0.12.6
>> rack >= 1.0.0
>>
>> daemons 1.0.10 suffices the first dependency:
>> http://gemcutter.org/gems/daemons/versions/1.0.10
>>
>> eventmachine 0.12.10 does the second:
>> http://gemcutter.org/gems/eventmachine/versions/0.12.10
>>
>> rack 1.0.1 completes the chain:
>> http://gemcutter.org/gems/rack/versions/1.0.1
>>
>> none of thin dependencies depends on other libraries at runtime. so
>> clearly is:
>>
>> thin:
>> - daemons
>> - eventmachine
>> - rack
>>
>> With that scenario, the order gems are supposed to be installed are:
>>
>> eventmachine, daemons, rack, thin
>>
>> BUT, for some reason, RubyGems does this:
>>
>> eventmachine, daemons, thin, rack
>>
>> And when reaches thin, it fails due missing rack.
>
> DependencyList isn't smart enough to know about runtime vs. development, and
> there's a circular dependency between rack and thin, so the order ends up
> wrong.  I'm working on it.

Thank you Eric.

As I explained, my understanding on the issue was pretty rough for not
saying nil.

Now it worked as expected:

C:\Users\Luis\Projects\oss\rubygems>ruby -Ilib bin\gem install thin
Successfully installed rack-1.1.0
Successfully installed eventmachine-0.12.10
Successfully installed daemons-1.0.10
Successfully installed thin-1.2.5
4 gems installed

Thank you!