[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-27826 ] gem install fails when any source fails to respond

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Sun Feb 14 15:08:28 EST 2010

Bugs item #27826, was opened at 2010-02-14 15:08
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=27826&group_id=126

Category: `gem install` command
Group: None

Initial Comment:
My company has a gem server on its intranet that is not accessible from the Internet. Thus, my .gemrc looks like this:

---
:benchmark: false
:sources:
- http://gemcutter.org
- http://gems.rubyforge.org
- http://gems.mycompany.com

When I take my laptop home and try to install a gem from Gemcutter, I get an error message as follows:

> gem install shoulda
ERROR:  http://gems.mycompany.com does not appear to be a repository
ERROR:  could not find gem shoulda locally or in a repository

If I specify the source, everything works fine:

> gem install shoulda --source http://gemcutter.org
Successfully installed shoulda-2.10.3
1 gem installed
Installing RDoc documentation for shoulda-2.10.3...

gem install should not error out simply because one of the repositories fails to respond. Perhaps it should instead print a warning.

(Note: I tried to submit this issue previously. I checked to make sure this one isn't a duplicate, but it's possible I missed something.)