[Rubygems-developers] 1.3.6.pre.1

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Tue Feb 9 16:54:33 EST 2010

It's that time again!

This release is focused on getting gemcutter merged with RubyGems, but there are some other bug fixes and minor new features:

=== 1.3.6 / 2010-02-??

New features:

* `gem` commands
  * Added `gem push` and `gem owner` for interacting with modern/Gemcutter
    sources
  * `gem dep` now supports --prerelease.
  * `gem fetch` now supports --prerelease.
  * `gem server` now supports --bind.  Patch #27357 by Bruno Michel.
  * `gem rdoc` no longer overwrites built documentation.  Use --overwrite
    force rebuilding.  Patch #25982 by Akinori MUSHA.
* Captial letters are now allowed in prerelease versions.

Bug fixes:

* Development deps are no longer added to rubygems-update gem so older
  versions can update sucessfully.
* Installer bugs:
  * Prerelease gems can now depend on non-prerelease gems.
  * Development dependencies are ignored unless explicitly needed.  Bug #27608
    by Roger Pack.
* `gem` commands
  * `gem which` now fails if no paths were found.  Adapted patch #27681 by
    Caio Chassot.
  * `gem server` no longer has invalid markup.  Bug #27045 by Eric Young.
* Gem::Format no longer crashes on empty files.  Bug #27292 by Ian Ragsdale.
* Gem::GemPathSearcher handles nil require_paths. Patch #27334 by Roger Pack.
* Gem::RemoteFetcher no longer copies the file if it is where we want it.
  Patch #27409 by Jakub Šťastný.

Deprecation Notices:

* lib/rubygems/timer.rb has been removed.
* Gem::Dependency#version_requirements is deprecated and will be removed on or
  after August 2010.
* Bulk index update is no longer supported.
* Gem::manage_gems was removed in 1.3.3.
* Time::today was removed in 1.3.3.

I'd like to give this a week and then release.

I'll merge the 1_3 branch into ruby trunk afterwards and do a followup release if changes were required.

You can download and install the update:

http://segment7.net/~drbrain/temp/rubygems-update-1.3.6.pre.1.gem

gem install rubygems-update-1.3.6.pre.1.gem; update_rubygems

http://segment7.net/~drbrain/temp/rubygems-1.3.6.pre.1.tgz
http://segment7.net/~drbrain/temp/rubygems-1.3.6.pre.1.zip

unpack; cd rubygems-1.3.6.pre.1; ruby setup.rb