[Rubygems-developers] gem list as input to gem install?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:23:45 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Hugh Sasse <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> On the other hand, I don't see how Bundler would help with this.  [Which
> is fair enough, it is outside the scope of its design (for recording
> gems on a per project basis)].

Well, assuming that Sexp#sexp_type comes from a gem, Bundler would
help in this case.

Assuming that you are both using Bundler correctly, and it is working
on Kevin Rutherford's system but not yours, you can be sure that it is
not a problem with different gems or gem versions.  This is because
bundler locks down the *entire* gem dependency tree.

So, if you were using Bundler in this case, and still had an error
which was reproducible on only one system, you'd be pretty sure it is
a problem related to a native gem, or your ruby interpreter, or
something else that differs in your environment - not because you are
using different gems or versions.

Let me know if I'm missing something...

-- Chad