[Rubygems-developers] gem list as input to gem install?

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Mon Feb 1 12:31:26 EST 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Chad Woolley wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Hugh Sasse <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> > ...The exact
> > collection of gems could be reported in such a way that Rubygems can
> > use it to perform the installation.
> I have this functionality in GemInstaller (use --print-rogue-gems
> option with an empty config):
> http://geminstaller.rubyforge.org/documentation/tutorials.html#bootstrapping_your_geminstaller_config

Yes, that would do the job. I think I'm correct in thinking
geminstaller --config=/dev/null --print-rogue-gems
would do the job, as well?

> However, I believe Bundler is a better way to solve these problems.
> People should be specifying gems on a per-app or per-environment basis
> instead of relying on system gems anyway.

Yes, that would be the ideal case, but wouldn't cover the bug hunting
case from malformed dependencies or the complete rebuild case.
> Future versions of Bundler will also allow you to version and save the
> entire dependency tree as Bundler has resolved it (without requiring
> you to check in .gem files in cache dir, as is currently the case).

So the versions of the version tree can go into git, etc?
> -- Chad

        Thank you,