[Rubygems-developers] Status of disabling plugins except for command line?

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 18:12:27 EST 2010

On Dec 23, 3:33 pm, Eric Hodel <drbr... at segment7.net> wrote:

> > If that's asking too much, then at the very least, make this patch a
> > configurable option in the .gemrc file. Power users who aren't using
> > any of the above mentioned plugins could then easily flip the switch
> > to get the speed up.
> We should make a release that contains this change RubyGems 2.0 as this changes an API.

Not sure what that accomplishes. The usefulness of the pref switch is
backward compatibility. When someone (who is unaware of all this)
comes along complaining that his plugin stopped working, you can tell
him to active the pref switch; problem solved. Changing the
config_file API shouldn't break anything. I've tested out adding
arbitrary garbage entries to the .gemrc file and it appears to work

I would hope by 2.0, a new plugin system would be in place addressing
all the issues noted by James.