[Rubygems-developers] Status of disabling plugins except for command line?

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Thu Dec 23 15:46:04 EST 2010

On Dec 23, 2010, at 11:22, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> I don't think global plugin loading should be the norm, though, until
> it doesn't incur a massive perf hit.

I don't think it should ever be re-enabled.  It was a bad mistake that a more thoughtful implementation (load plugins when necessar) would have avoided.

rubygems/install_plugin.rb - loaded when the installer is required
rubygems/command_plugin.rb - loaded when the command manager is required

We won't need global plugins if we have appropriate hooks like these.