[Rubygems-developers] Status of disabling plugins except for command line?

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Thu Dec 23 15:33:27 EST 2010

On Dec 23, 2010, at 01:08, Trans wrote:
> I thought RubyGems was supposed to be so *conservative* about changes,
> and here a change is just going to be pushed that breaks people's
> plugins for the sake of a speed up for those who have 500+ gems
> installed?

I thought adding plugins this way would be conservative.  It turns out I was mistaken.  We're fixing a performance bug.

> Overlooking the fact that there other solutions to deal with large gem
> collections, like rvm's gemsets. Why wouldn't the prudent course of
> action be to actually fix this _correctly now_, rather than implement
> a "phase 1" change that will leave certain types of plugins out in the
> cold for who knows how long?

Shortly after I added scanning for rubygems_plugins.rb I found it was the incorrect solution as it is not granular.

> If that's asking too much, then at the very least, make this patch a
> configurable option in the .gemrc file. Power users who aren't using
> any of the above mentioned plugins could then easily flip the switch
> to get the speed up.

We should make a release that contains this change RubyGems 2.0 as this changes an API.