[Rubygems-developers] Status of disabling plugins except for command line?

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 14:18:09 EST 2010

On Dec 23, 2010, at 1:32 PM, Trans wrote:

> On Dec 23, 11:35 am, James Tucker <jftuc... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> If that's asking too much, then at the very least, make this patch a
>>> configurable option in the .gemrc file. Power users who aren't using
>>> any of the above mentioned plugins could then easily flip the switch
>>> to get the speed up.
>>
>> Please explain this.
>
> Basically something like...

I meant something more along the lines of why do we consider power users as needing the speed up. Everyone needs the speed up, my eventual target is to have gem_prelude.rb deprecated and to get rubygems.rb up to that speed. "Power users" are the 10 or so people that use non-command based plugins. They should easily be able to do whatever to gain speed, typical things are to preload the source_index and then run GC.start (on MRI) as this reduces memory fragmentation. You can also rewrite your source index to use symbols to further save on ram costs, etc.

That's not really what this patch is about though. This patch is about fixing an order of magnitude inefficiency that's barely used that affects everyone. All I mean is, the default should be to not load plugins, until we have a non-edgy plugin index and some better plugin hooks that can work with single-activations.