[Rubygems-developers] Status of disabling plugins except for command line?

Charles Oliver Nutter headius at headius.com
Wed Dec 22 13:41:02 EST 2010

Hey all!

I wanted to see if there's been any progress getting plugins to load
only when using the 'gem' command. Currently, because they're loaded
at the bottom of rubygems.rb, every app that needs rubygems incurs a
massive startup hit to scan for plugins in all installed gems. On
JRuby, on my system with 500+ gems installed, this takes several
seconds.

I have been recommending that users sensitive to this startup hit
comment out that code or move it to gem_runner.rb, which gets loaded
directly from the gem command.

I talked with James Tucker about the status, and he said I should
check here. He also said he thought this move had been attempted, but
that it broke something else.

We're hoping to ship JRuby 1.6 RCs in the next couple weeks, and it
would be really great if we could include some fix for the plugin
startup hit.

So, what's up?

- Charlie