[Rubygems-developers] rubygems-test and gem-testers.org

Erik Hollensbe erik at hollensbe.org
Thu Dec 16 06:08:08 EST 2010

I'm proud to announce a (hopefully) rather important milestone in gem testing:

Also, if you can find time, please gem install rubygems-test and try it out on a gem of yours (just add the stub file .gemtest to spec.files, and make sure rake test works from your created gem) and check out how the service interprets it. Test on-install testing and 'gem test', both should post to the service without error. Try to XSS attack it (really). Try to.. well, you get the idea.

There are obviously going to be more than a few bugs here, so I'm not ready to "officially" announce anything, and I reserve the right to drop database at this point. Also, we need comments and criticism. Lots of it before we open the floodgates. And monitoring, but I'm working on that now. :)

rubygems-test has an outstanding issue with bundler, so please be aware of that when using the bundler command to install anything (bundler will happily install it and rubygems-test will happily ask to uninstall it and bundler will happily say "sure!" and then report that it's been installed successfully. Patches were filed.). I'm not sure about other gem systems such as isolate, so comments there would help too.

The rails app was written by a personal colleague of mine, Josiah Kiehl, another member of philly.rb. I think he's done a bang-up job with it, but if you have comments on how that should work, please ensure the Cc: line is preserved. He's busy as hell but I'll try to get him on the list here for the future.

Code for the rails app is here: http://github.com/bluepojo/gem-testers
Code for rubygems-test is here: http://github.com/erikh/rubygems-test