[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-28494 ] C: hard coded in rubygems.rb

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 13:35:23 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 12:16 PM, James Tucker <jftucker at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't get why the code is not being taken as-is from the RubyGems repository. Sure we have backward compatibility stuff in there, but if I fix this in rubygems now, these modifications will have to be re-applied by core for the sake of a /really/ small optimisation?

The issue actually is Ruby implementation of RubyGems, not RubyGems:

http://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/blob/master/lib/rubygems.rb#L499

For this user scenario, it had defined as HOME just HOMEDRIVE, so
File.expand_path "~" internally in Ruby 1.9.x raised an exception that
failsafe to C:/

A sane alternative will be take the root drive of Gem.ruby itself and not C:/

But again, the discrepancies between Ruby's RubyGems and standalone
RubyGems are bad and not easy to fix follow and fix.

I'm open to suggestions on this, but the patch is not as good I thought.
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17