[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-28091 ] RubyGems Installer Cuts Off Beginning Characters

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Thu Apr 22 10:22:28 EDT 2010

Bugs item #28091, was opened at 2010-04-14 16:06
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=28091&group_id=126

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
With ruby-1.9.1 on an mswin32 environment, running setup.rb produces files in the lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.9.1\rubygems which are mostly missing the first four characters of the file. For example, C:\scripting\ruby-1.9.1\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.9.1\rubygems\commands\list_command.rb has the following for its first line:

ire 'rubygems/command'

rather than

require 'rubygems/command'

Inspection of the sources under the rubygems-1.3.6 directory shows that those sources do not have this issue, indicating that the problem has something to do with setup.rb or its dependencies.

A workaround for this is to manually copy the rubygems-1.3.6\lib\rubygems directory into ruby-1.9.1\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.9.1\.

Date: 2010-04-22 14:22

Message:
I did a couple of copies with FileUtils.install without any
problems, but I wasn't able to track down where setub.rb
uses it, so I don't know if there are any options you're
using that would affect that.

Comment By: Eric Hodel (drbrain)
Date: 2010-04-21 04:31

Message:
RubyGems' setup.rb uses FileUtils#install to do all its copying, so I suspect the problem will exist there.

Can you rule out FileUtils as the source of this problem?