[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-27301 ] gem uninstall without sudo incorrectly reports success on OS X

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Thu Oct 15 23:20:04 EDT 2009

Bugs item #27301, was opened at 2009-10-15 21:20
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=27301&group_id=126

Category: `gem` commands (other)
Group: v1.3.x

Initial Comment:
On my system (OS X 10.5.8), uninstalling a gem without using "sudo" first causes gem to report that it  uninstalled the gem. However, it does not do so; the gem remains intalled.

I install gems using sudo; I get error messages if I forget it.

Running with --debug shows plenty of permissions errors, but those aren't propagated up under normal circumstances.

Attached is a copy of a gem session that shows the error and the pertinent info.

Is this a widespread issue? If so, could it be fixed so that it correctly fails?

Thanks,

Craig Walker
SoftCraft Development