[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-27244 ] ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError) when installing rubygems

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Mon Oct 5 22:12:48 EDT 2009

Bugs item #27244, was opened at 2009-10-05 19:12
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=27244&group_id=126

Category: RubyGems installer (setup.rb)
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I'm trying to install rubygems on a system that has never had it.  I downloaded the latest version (1.3.5) and when I ran ruby setup.rb install, I get the error above:

ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError) when installing rubygems

The README says this is only an update, so I assume that I need to download an older version - but I grabbed 1.3.0 and saw the same thing.

So... I'm a little perplexed because it *seems* like rubygems is a requirement to install rubygems based on the errors.  But, it could well be that I'm doing something stupid.

FWIW I'm in a Cygwin/Windows env.

Thanks!
Tom