[Rubygems-developers] Hoe, Rubyforge, and name confusion

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu May 28 20:38:10 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> On May 28, 2009, at 14:25, Rick DeNatale wrote:
>>> I've found an rical package under the rical project:
>>> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=8234
>>> but no ri_cal project:
>>> http://rubyforge.org/projects/ri_cal (which is 404)
>>> If you want to release as the rical project, this should do it:
>>> $ rubyforge config rical
>>> $ rake release
>>> Usually rubyforge correctly adds the package_id, but sometimes it seems
>>> forget.
>>> Check your rubyforge_project under `rake debug_gem` to make sure it
>>> matches.
>> The rical project was abandoned when I couldn't get that to work since
>> the gem is named ri_cal.
>> So I created the ri_cal project, and I've manually release three versions
>> there:
>> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=8408
>> That's also the one which had been published to the world, so I really
>> want to get that project working with hoe.
> No, that's the ri-cal project, not ri_cal.
> ri-cal works: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ri-cal
> ri_cal is invalid: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ri_cal
> Switching everything to ri-cal should work out of the box.

Well assuming it will, which it didn't (at least where I thought to
switch) how was I to interpret what I got from RubyForge

Your project registration for RubyForge has been approved!

Project Full Name:  ri_cal
Project Unix Name:  ri-cal
Virtual host:       ri-cal.rubyforge.org

To hoe settings?

Now in my rake file I've now got:
$hoe = Hoe.new('ri-cal', RiCal::VERSION) do |p|
  p.developer('author=Rick DeNatale', 'rick.denatale at gmail.com')
  p.changes              = p.paragraphs_of("History.txt", 0..1).join("\n\n")
  p.rubyforge_name       = 'ri-cal'
  p.extra_dev_deps = [
    ['newgem', ">= #{::Newgem::VERSION}"]

  p.clean_globs |= %w[**/.DS_Store tmp *.log]
  path = (p.rubyforge_name == p.name) ? p.rubyforge_name :
  p.remote_rdoc_dir = File.join(path.gsub(/^#{p.rubyforge_name}\/?/,''), 'rdoc')
  p.rsync_args = '-av --delete --ignore-errors'

And when I do rake release I get:
... Gem build output supressed
  Successfully built RubyGem
  Name: ri-cal
  Version: 0.5.2
  File: ri-cal-0.5.2.gem
mv ri-cal-0.5.2.gem pkg/ri-cal-0.5.2.gem
Logging in
Releasing ri-cal v. 0.5.2
rake aborted!
no <processor_id> configured for <Any>

And it's now building the gem with the name ri-cal rather than ri_cal
which is problematic since it's rubhredrick-ri_cal on github AND
ri_cal in the RubyForge project for the three versions I've already
manually released.

Is there a way to tell hoe that the gem's name is ri_cal.

Rick DeNatale