[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Patches-25854 ] Import/Export Patch

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Sat May 9 13:16:02 EDT 2009

You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=577&aid=25854&group_id=126

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
This patch is not fully complete, but I was not sure how else I could get developers who are more in the know to get a look at i before I went too far.

There are a couple parts to this patch.  First I added a "--format" option to the query command.  The only valid option at the moment is 'yaml'

- added "--format" to the query command, accepted options right now is 'yaml'
- when the --format is set to yaml it also includes the sources in the dump
- added "export" command that basically does a list with the yaml format
- added "import" command that reads a list of supplied gems from a yaml file and installs them

TODOs:

- complete tests, there are some, but I was not sure exactly how to test some parts of it
- move the sources dump to the export command
- add sources support to the import command, i.e. make sure all the sources in the yaml file are available, and if not add them

The idea behind this patch would be for user to be able to create gem templates so that when they are setting up a new system all they have to do is supply the yaml file to the import command with the supplied Yaml file to install all the gems they require.

Let me know what you think. Thanks

Peer