[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-25816 ] misleading error message when one of many sources unreachable.

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Wed May 6 22:43:29 EDT 2009

Bugs item #25816, was opened at 2009-05-07 02:42
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=25816&group_id=126

Category: `gem install` command
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I puzzled over the following for about half an hour:

$ sudo gem install hoe
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Zlib::GzipFile::Error)
    not in gzip format

Until I finally figured out that one of my sources (aka 'gem sources') was a address only accessible on my company's VPN. (I wasn't on the VPN at the time.) e.g:

$ gem sources
*** CURRENT SOURCES ***

http://gems.rubyforge.org/
http://rubygems.xxx.xxx/    <-- vpn address

This error was confusing, because I was attempting to get 'hoe' which is clearly at gems.rubyforge.org, however apparently gem attempts to ping ALL the sources, even if one isn't available, it croaks with this obscure error.

At least this should be documented.

At most, gem should return a meaningful error if one of the gem sources is unreachable.

Ideally, if the install name is found in one of the gem sources that IS available, it shouldn't matter, and should simply install the gem from the available source.

Other info:

using Mac OSX 10.5

Macports:
$ port installed | grep ruby
  rb-rubygems @1.3.1_0 (active)
  ruby @1.8.7-p72_2+thread_hooks
  ruby @1.8.7-p160_1+thread_hooks (active)
  ruby186 @1.8.6-p287_0+darwin_9+thread_hooks

Hope this helps!
-lk

Date: 2009-05-07 02:43

Message:
BTW, I forgot to mention the workaround:

Simply remove the source that is unreachable and gem works fine.