[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-25810 ] undefined method `manage_gems'

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Wed May 6 17:58:20 EDT 2009

Bugs item #25810, was opened at 06/05/2009 22:03
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=25810&group_id=126

Category: `gem` commands (other)
Group: v1.3.x

Initial Comment:
Hello,

On a debian Etch, I suddenly get this error :

/usr/bin/gem:11: undefined method `manage_gems' for Gem:Module (NoMethodError)

Date: 06/05/2009 23:58

Message:
Thank you Eric, it's obviously working right now.

I'm sorry I didn't read your install message this time. I know
that you take it seriously and always make them clear and
complete and I than you for that too.

Comment By: Eric Hodel (drbrain)
Date: 06/05/2009 23:11

Message:
You haven't been paying attention to the install messages, at the end it printed out where it installed gem, which was likely `gem1.8` or `gem18` at the end of the upgrade, not `gem`.  The last half of this blog post will help you out:

http://blog.segment7.net/articles/2009/01/15/usr-bin-gems-reports-gem-manage_gems-is-deprecated

Comment By: Jérémy Lecour (eboss)
Date: 06/05/2009 22:42

Message:
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the quick answer.

I get this error when I do a simple "$ sudo gem list" or "$
sudo gem update".

I don't maintain any gem so I don't really get what you
mean by "It should be removed from your gemspec".

Cheers
Jérémy

Comment By: Daniel Berger (djberg96)
Date: 06/05/2009 22:25

Message:
The manage_gems method had been deprecated for quite some time and was finally removed. It should be removed from your gemspec.

Or, if you prefer to maintain backwards compatibility, you can do this:

Gem.manage_gems if Gem::RubyGemsVersion.to_f < 1.0

Regards,

Dan