[Rubygems-developers] Alternate dependencies?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:21:59 EDT 2009

I just unofficially released my new ri_cal gem to github, then signed
up for a runcoderun account which exposed an issue.

My gem needs TZInfo, but it's carefully crafted to use either the
implementation in the tzinfo gem OR the one provided by activesupport
since Rails 2.2.  I don't want to dictate which one gets used, and as
far as I can see there's no way to put an either/or dependency in the
gemspec.

Everything works except that since the dependency on tzinfo isn't
declared, runcode run doesn't load it and fails.

I've brought this up on the runcoderun support site, but I was
wondering if this is something that rubygems should think about
addressing.

Or maybe I'm missing something and there already is a way to do this.

--
Rick DeNatale