[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems setup.rb --destdir patch

Richard Brown rbrown at exherbo.org
Mon Mar 9 18:38:58 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 22:31, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Richard Brown <rbrown at exherbo.org> wrote:
> I was going to chime in and accept the guilt on this.

I didn't test it on Windows when I wrote it.

> I now realized that my destdir patches, which affected other users,
> didn't help us (One-Click Installer developers) in the long run.
> The thing is that prefix on Windows should be /, so next build of OCI
> is going to use that and destdir properly.
> I assume --destdir will use prefix on which ruby was built, and not
> imposing /usr somehow, correct?

The intended behaviour of --destdir should have nothing to do with
prefix. The destdir is prepended to the install path. This lets me say
that libdir should be /usr/lib64, bindir should be /usr/bin, and then
it's installed to $destdir not to "/". I know you had trouble with
paths on Windows so I hadn't pushed this patch. I think I took out the
RbConfig::TOPDIR part because that is calculated wrong by ruby to
always include lib, even if libdir is something else.

Richard Brown