[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems setup.rb --destdir patch

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:31:35 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Richard Brown <rbrown at exherbo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 22:01, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
>> Can someone tell me if this patch for --destdir behavior is correct?
>> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=23964&group_id=126&atid=577
>> I don't use --destdir, so I don't know the desired behavior.
> Luis changed the behaviour of --destdir shortly after I wrote the
> original patch to add it, we never agreed on restoring it, I think the
> thread on-list fizzled out. The patch you linked to is similar to
> http://tinyurl.com/aslo8n, which is the patch I use in exherbo to make
> setup.rb do what I want. I haven't thought about how it affects
> windows, so I haven't submitted it.

I was going to chime in and accept the guilt on this.

I now realized that my destdir patches, which affected other users,
didn't help us (One-Click Installer developers) in the long run.

The thing is that prefix on Windows should be /, so next build of OCI
is going to use that and destdir properly.

I assume --destdir will use prefix on which ruby was built, and not
imposing /usr somehow, correct?

Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry