[Rubygems-developers] Trunk version of rubygems should always be > released version

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 22:07:07 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Eric Hodel<drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> I think multiruby does something similar to what you do with gem versions

No it doesn't, I looked [1].  Multiruby itself does not have automated
CI running against every commit of MRI trunk.

It DOES parse the version out of the MRI *tags* and use them, though.
This is exactly what I am asking for as well - some way to distinguish
versions - except I want to do it for every trunk commit as well as
releases/tags, so I can do conditional version checks against
unreleased breaking API changes if necessary to keep green.

However, if you keep the trunk version the same as the released
version, it is a lot more effort to fake a different version than
actually exists in the code - instead of just a simple comparison of
the actual version using Gem::Version::Requirement#satisfied_by?

Plus, to reiterate, trunk is NOT the released version.  For example,
the 1.3.5 preview tarball you just sent out as version 1.3.4 was NOT
1.3.4 code - it was 1.3.5 code.  Yes?  Yes!

Thanks,
-- Chad

[1] http://zentest.rubyforge.org/svn/ZenTest/dev/lib/multiruby.rb