[Rubygems-developers] Trunk version of rubygems should always be > released version

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 03:01:36 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Hugh Sasse<hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Chad Woolley wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Eric Hodel<drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
>> > We've been over this, and the answer is no.
>> Why?  I've described valid and useful reasons to do this.  I don't
>> remember your reasons against it, can you repeat them?
> The archive is pointed to in the message headers, no time for me to
> search for you now.

You don't need to search the archives for me, I already did - my first
post in this thread contains a link to the original unanswered
question.  I have followed every message on this list since I joined
in Feb. 06, and don't recall seeing it ever addressed elsewhere, nor
did I find it browsing my chat logs with Eric.

This is just usage of a prerelease version in trunk.  It is a trivial
(two character) change which makes it easier for RubyGems API users to
maintain version checks and automated tests for forward and backward
compatibility.  Right now I have to fake the trunk version to be 9.9.9
for version comparisons to work against unreleased code, which is
silly.  If there is legitimate reason to not bump to a prerelease
version in trunk, or problems it would cause, I'd like to know,
because I can't think of any.

-- Chad