[Rubygems-developers] Can I use RubyGems to package java, c++ code?

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 16:54:20 EDT 2009

On 18 Jun 2009, at 21:25, Sevada Abraamyan wrote:

> I need to be able to package Java, C++, and Ruby code in a uniform
> format. I
> was hoping to do this with RubyGems. Is this possible? If so can
> anyone
> point to some documentation or info on how to do this? Thank you.

Just like you would install a ruby extension. You'd traditionally make
a directory called ext/ and use an extconf.rb to create a makefile
(using mkmf for configuration). For your specific needs, you could
skip that and just store a makefile in the dir, system('./configure'),
etc in extconf.rb.

There are also other external builders, but they're not so often used.