[Rubygems-developers] Trunk version of rubygems should always be > released version

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 13:03:16 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Phil Hagelberg<technomancy at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've got all the logic for prerelease versions in the Gem::Version
> class. We could use it for RubyGems' version itself rather than just
> versions of gems,

Sure, if it works. I haven't used the prerelease support yet, so I
didn't think of that.  I assume this works with Hoe too, which wants
to parse "VERSION = 'x..'" out of some file in the manifest?

> since 1.3.4.1 is not actually accurate either without
> moving to an "odd for development, even for release" scheme.

Yeah, we could make it 1.3.5.  I was just going with the smallest
possible increment in lieu of anything better.  Doesn't really matter
that much since it should be replaced before the next release, and
this version will only ever be seen by people hacking on rubygems.
The important thing is that apps using the rubygems API can check >
1.3.4 (for supporting unreleased version) or <= 1.3.4 (for backward
compatibility).

-- Chad