[Rubygems-developers] Commit 2221 broke uninstall on OSX (not linux)

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 16:21:17 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Chad Woolley<thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> My uninstall regression tests started failing on default OSX Leopard
> Ruby (not linux) as of commit 2221.  This is with Ruby 1.8.6.  Test is
> functional/install_processor_spec.rb in GemInstaller.
> Just a heads up for now.  Sorry, didn't dig deeper yet, this is a very
> coarse "make sure it is not still installed after uninstall"
> functional test, so not much info provided.

Update on this - don't have time to investigate further right now...

The test mysteriously started passing again when I uninstalled a local
copy of my test stub gem from ~/.gems.

This is concerning, because my test suite is set up to override
GEM_HOME and GEM_PATH to a freshly-created directory on each run, and
the tests use a local, never-changing stub gem for testing.

So, there theoretically shouldn't be any bleed-over from any locally
installed gems, and there never has been in the past.  This failure
could indicate a bug where GEM_HOME and GEM_PATH overrides are not
being properly observed, or are not handled the same way they were in
previous releases.

I'll look into it more when I get time, or if it occurs again.

-- Chad