[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Feature Requests-26812 ] add error handling for RubyGems metadata

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Fri Jul 31 17:13:23 EDT 2009

Feature Requests item #26812, was opened at 2009-07-31 14:13
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=578&aid=26812&group_id=126

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
[I didn't realize that there was a group for RubyGems, so I posted this
 to group_id 5.  I see no way to simply move the bug report, so I'm
 reposting it here.  -r]

As discussed in Bug #26667 [in group_id 5], I have found some problems
in the RubyGems metadata.  For example, some of the version numbers
are encoded as strings, rather than numbers.  Also, names may be encoded
as either strings or symbols. Finally, in the entry for oauth-simple-0.0.2,
the name listed in the first dependencies entry is a list.

These problems show up in both the YAML and marshalled versions of the
metadata, so I assume that they are input errors which are not being
handled by the RubyGems build system.  My suggestion would be to add
some error handling, as:

  *  Create a documentation page (ie, HowTo) that specifies the
     acceptable format for each piece of metadata.

  *  If the input format can be coerced to the proper form, do so,
     but send a "warning" note to the developer.

  *  If the input format cannot be coerced, fill in the field with
     a placeholder and send an "error" note to the developer.

In other words, document the desired format, encourage developers to use
it, and set things up so that the published metadata is always compliant.