[Rubygems-developers] --format-executable should be the default

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 18:32:51 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2009, at 03:15, Chad Woolley wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to make --format-executable the default for 1.4+.  It seems
>>> many more people are running multiple versions of ruby these days.
>>>
>> I've committed this to trunk in rev 2278.  Didn't write any new tests, but
>> tried it out and it worked for me.  Please test and report any problems.
>>
>  Please revert this change.  There wasn't even 24 hours of discussion on
> this before you made it.
>
> When the feature was introduced there was a fairly lengthy discussion with
> the JRuby folks.  I doubt they've even had a change to check this list.
>
> While this is a low-traffic list, not everybody can read it every minute of
> the day.  I'd rather wait a week to ensure that any objections can be met,
> especially when the default change affects multiple ruby implementations.

OK.  Reverted and made a patch:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=26754&group_id=126&atid=577
- I thought when you said "I would like" it meant "make it so".

I'd like to get feedback from JRuby or anyone else about required changes to
this, because this is a blocker to multiple MRI interpreters coexisting
[1].  Also, I'm pretty sure there's a bug in the existing code [2]

Thanks,
-- Chad

[1] http://github.com/thewoolleyman/bootstrap-ruby
[2] incorrect symbol name :no_format_executable in
Gem::Commands::UpdateCommand#do_rubygems_update line 142.