[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-26740 ] outdated rubygems/rubygems_version.rb still exists on Leopard default ruby install even though it was removed in 1.3.5

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Fri Jul 24 15:16:26 EDT 2009

Bugs item #26740, was opened at 2009-07-24 00:44
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=26740&group_id=126

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Does system installer not delete old files?  If someone happens to load this file, they get a warning, then get the wrong version.

Can't we just move the version back into this file and avoid the issue altogether?

chadmac:1.8 woolley$ pwd
/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8
chadmac:1.8 woolley$ grep RubyGemsVersion rubygems.rb
  RubyGemsVersion = VERSION = '1.3.5'
chadmac:1.8 woolley$ ls rubygems/rubygems_version.rb
rubygems/rubygems_version.rb

chadmac:~ woolley$ irb
>> Gem::RubyGemsVersion
=> "1.3.5"
>> require 'rubygems/rubygems_version'
/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/rubygems_version.rb:12: warning: already initialized constant RubyGemsVersion
/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/rubygems_version.rb:17: warning: already initialized constant VERSION
=> true
>> Gem::RubyGemsVersion
=> "1.3.4"

chadmac:~ woolley$ gem env
RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [universal-darwin9.0]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/bin
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - universal-darwin-9
  - GEM PATHS:
     - /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
     - /Users/woolley/.gem/ruby/1.8
     - /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
     - :sources => ["http://gems.rubyforge.org", "http://gems.github.com"]
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org
     - http://gems.github.com

Date: 2009-07-24 12:16

Message:
I agree, the rubygems_version.rb file should be deleted on update if possible. Mind you, I've never heard of anyone explicitly require'ing that file, so it strikes me as a very low priority item, but it's still something we could fix.

Regards,

Dan

Comment By: Chad Woolley (thewoolleyman)
Date: 2009-07-24 12:01

Message:
Rejected with no comment, huh?  Classy.

You ignore the fact that there are actual bugs:

* RubyGems 1.3.5 introduced an obsolete file on the Leopard distribution
* This file contains an outdated and conflicting RubyGems version number
* If any existing rubygems API clients happen to still load this file, they will get a warning, and rubygems will subsequently report the incorrect and outdated version.
* There is a bug with the system update command that does not delete old files, at least on the default Leopard install.