[Rubygems-developers] Trunk version is wrong

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 06:18:38 EDT 2009

So (I almost hesitate to ask), shouldn't the trunk version not be 1.3.4
anymore?  I still believe >1.3.5 would be most appropriate (and kind to API
clients), but I'm positive 1.3.4 is incorrect.  I would fix it, but last
time I touched the version I was reprimanded.  You're missing the date in
History.txt too...

By the way, here is the silly hackery required to support my regression
tests against the RubyGems API, because you refuse to allow a bump of
unreleased versions:

http://github.com/thewoolleyman/geminstaller/blob/72a2a12f57c0579dfbe3171a8a0890073269d9fd/spec/helper/test_gem_home.rb#L164

    def
self.hack_in_correct_rubygems_version_because_rubygems_refuses_to_allow_it_to_be_changed_in_trunk
      #
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2009-June/004749.html
      #
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2009-June/004750.html
      return unless rubygems_dist == 'trunk'
      correct_version = Gem::RubyGemsVersion + '.1'
      Gem.send(:remove_const,:RubyGemsVersion)
      Gem.send(:remove_const,:VERSION)
      Gem.const_set(:RubyGemsVersion, correct_version)
      Gem.const_set(:VERSION, correct_version)
    end

Persistently yours,
-- Chad