[Rubygems-developers] 'gem update' Fails, but 'gem update X' Works

Randy Parker randy.j.parker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 12:09:30 EDT 2009

When I do a general "sudo gem update" on my mac, I get "could not find  gem
X locally or in a repository".

But if I do "sudo gem update X", the gem gets updated without  incident.

This would be no big deal if "X" were the only gem suffering this
problem.  However, the failure to update is happening to 100% of the
gems I have installed that can be updated.  So far, I've had to
manually spell out the name of two dozen gems that "couldn't be found"
until I tried to update them by their specific name.  All 24 of these
failures updated successfully when I spelled them out.

I posted my experience to my local Atlanta IRC channel.  Three of the
four folks who tested "gem update" had the same problem.  I first
noticed the problem on Tuesday, 6.30.2009.  It continues to occur through
today, July 15.

sw_vers ==> Mac OS X 10.5.7

gem --version ==> 1.3.4

ruby --version ==> ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287)
[universal- darwin9.0]

gem sources ==> http://gems.rubyforge.org/     http://gems.github.com

The one guy for whom the entire set of installed gems updated cleanly  was
also on a Mac running 10.5.7

ddollar guessed that the gem mirrors aren't syncing, so that sometimes you
get an index from one mirror, and then try to pull the actual gem from a
different mirror that doesn't have it.  Does anyone know if that is really
happening?  If so, what would it take to fix?

- Randy