[Rubygems-developers] Question on platform, x64

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:43:32 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Hugh Sasse <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Luis Lavena wrote:
>> There is no way to conditionally tell rubygems that "under this
>> platform, please build this extension".
>
> Would any build command be platform dependent?  I'm thinking (out
> loud) that for some platforms the build command could be `true;` or
> some other NO-OP which is successful.  The un module doesn't have
> true or anything else NO-OP-like.
>
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/un/rdoc/files/un_rb.html

I believe this is not the case, but good finding about un... I didn't
know about it, and been using Ruby since 2002 :-P

> Then you always build, but for some platforms nothing happens.

The problem with RubyGems is that it tries to build the extensions and
execute the generated make file. On platforms with compiler that's not
a issue, since the default and the install tasks can be empty.

On Windows, on default VC6 build (One-Click Installer) you're required
to have VC tools (cl and nmake).

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17