[Rubygems-developers] Question on platform, x64

Berger, Daniel Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
Tue Jan 27 13:42:37 EST 2009

Hi,

Depends on the platform. For Linux, Windows and Solaris it's pure Ruby. For FreeBSD, HP-UX, OS X and other BSD flavors it's a C extension.

> > I _think_ this is happening because I built it on a x32
> Linux (Ubuntu) system at home, while the RHEL box here at
> work are x64. If I build the gem on the RHEL box, for
> example, I end up with "sys-proctable-0.8.0-x86_64-linux.gem".
> >
> > I tried installing using "--platform=linux", but that
> didn't seem to help.
> >

> "--platform=x86-linux" should work, the same for
> "x86-mingw32" or "x86-mswin32-60" under Windows.

Thanks, that worked. For Windows it seems that specifying "--platform=mswin32" was enough to install the VC 6 version on my VC 8 Ruby.

> > That a bug? Or did I miss something? Is there a spec option
> I can tweak to say "Any Linux Platform"?
>
> Originally the platforms are indications of binaries being
> carried and bundled in the gem, not under which platform the
> gem should work.

Well, I'm kind of stuck then. I have pure Ruby versions that will work on a particular operating system, but aren't tied to any particular runtime, bit-ness, etc.

If there isn't any way to specify that with the Gem::Specification, I would argue that we need some way to do so. Or am I the only person in the world hitting this particular issue?

Thanks,

Dan

PS - Yes, I know I've brought this up before, so sorry if I'm beating the issue to death. If you want to see what I'm dealing with, take a look at the sys-proctable source and tell me how _you_ would bundle the gems.