[Rubygems-developers] Question on platform, x64

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:58:23 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger at qwest.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I released sys-proctable 0.8.0 last night. The Linux version has its own source file (pure Ruby), and the resulting gem is called "sys-proctable-0.8.0-x86-linux.gem". However, when I try to install it on a RHEL here at work, it tries to install an older version.

Is this a gem with a extension? Or is just pure-ruby code?

> I _think_ this is happening because I built it on a x32 Linux (Ubuntu) system at home, while the RHEL box here at work are x64. If I build the gem on the RHEL box, for example, I end up with "sys-proctable-0.8.0-x86_64-linux.gem".
>
> I tried installing using "--platform=linux", but that didn't seem to help.

"--platform=x86-linux" should work, the same for "x86-mingw32" or
"x86-mswin32-60" under Windows.

> That a bug? Or did I miss something? Is there a spec option I can tweak to say "Any Linux Platform"?

Originally the platforms are indications of binaries being carried and
bundled in the gem, not under which platform the gem should work.

As example, the "session" gem is marked as "ruby", but it only works
on POSIX OS. Because of that, developer will need to release one gem
for x86-linux, x86_64-linux, x86-darwin and ppc-darwin.

I guess that a condition in the library will be enough.