[Rubygems-developers] Gem location and site arch directory

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:06:03 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger at qwest.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do people think about RF Bug #14943.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=14943&group_id=126&atid=575
>
> If I read it correctly, C extensions should be installed as "lib/i386-msvcr80/foo.so" instead of "lib/foo.so" (on Windows/VC8, for example).

I believe it should be Gem::Platform.new(RUBY_PLATFORM).to_s or
Gem::Platform.local to match the gem filename signature, platform and
folder structure (is x86 instead of i386).

> It seems reasonable to me, but I wanted to see what other people thought, and if there were any pitfalls to watch out for (beyond needing to modify the search path).

I just commented on the Ticket, I kind of like it.

This will workaround the issues I'm having with rake-compiler for copy
of binary .so file before packaging a new gem.

Right now I don't see a problem in the long run with the proposed
solution (or a backward issue neither).

This should be affecting the $LOAD_PATH during Gem::activate, correct?
(I'm not up to speed with RubyGems internals).

> Regards,
>
> Dan

Thank you Dan for bumping this.
--